Welcome to Astronomy & Telescope Astronomy

 
 

  Modules

· Home
· AvantGo
· Content
· Downloads
· Encyclopedia
· FAQ
· Feedback
· Forums
· Journal
· Members List
· Private Messages
· Recommend Us
· Reviews
· Search
· Statistics
· Stories Archive
· Submit News
· Surveys
· Top 10
· Topics
· Web Links
· Your Account
 

  Who's Online

There are currently, 8 guest(s) and 0 member(s) that are online.

You are Anonymous user. You can register for free by clicking here
 

  Search



 

  Languages

Select Interface Language:

 

  Random Headlines


Voyager
[ Voyager ]

·Astronomy: Voyager - SOLAR PROBES
·Astronomy: Voyager - GALILEO
·Astronomy: Voyager - COMET MISSIONS
·Astronomy: Voyager - VOYAGER AND BEYOND
 

 
  Sun Structure: Astronomy: Sun Structure
Posted on Thursday, December 09 @ 13:39:06 CST by astronomy
 
 
  Sun Structure

THE STRUCTURE OF THE SUN

The Sun is a vast, layered structure, comprising all but a small fraction of the mass of the entire Solar System.



The sun is a ball of gas about 865,000 miles (1,392,000km) in diameter. If you could put the Earth at its center, the Moon would orbit about halfway to the Sun's surface. It would take 109 Earths, lined up side by side, to span the Sun's diameter. The Sun contains about 333,000 times as much matter as Earth does, and comprises more than 99.99 percent of the mass in the entire Solar System. The remaining 0.01 percent makes up the rest of the Solar System—that is, the nine planets and all the moons, comets, asteroids, and dust.

The Sun is a medium-size, medium-hot star in the middle of its life, which began some 4.6 billion years ago. We can be thankful that it is such an ordinary star. If the Sun were 10 times more massive, it would already have lived its life and exploded as a supernova. And had the Sun been 10 times smaller, it would not produce enough light and heat for life to exist in the Solar System.

A single element, hydrogen, accounts for 92.1 percent of all the atoms in the sun. The next most common element is helium, which amounts to 7.8 percent. All the other elements together, make up the remaining 0.1 percent. The Sun is fueled by thermonuclear reactions in its core, in a process where hydrogen atoms are fused to make heavier helium atoms, which results in an enormous release of energy.

 
 
  Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.
 

  Related Links

· More about Sun Structure
· News by astronomy


Most read story about Sun Structure:
Astronomy: Sun Structure

 

  Article Rating

Average Score: 0
Votes: 0

Please take a second and vote for this article:

Excellent
Very Good
Good
Regular
Bad

 

  Options


 Printer Friendly Printer Friendly

 Send to a Friend Send to a Friend

 

 
 
Associated Topics

Sun Structure
 
 


 
 
"Login" | Login/Create an Account | 0 comments
The comments are owned by the poster. We aren't responsible for their content.
 
 


 
 
No Comments Allowed for Anonymous, please register
 
 


 
  Astronomy & Telescope Astronomy

All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest © 2004 by Astronomy & Telescope Astronomy
You can syndicate our news using the file backend.php or ultramode.txt